Monday, September 13, 2010

The domino effect and some overdue garage time







When we bought our three bedroom 1 1/2 baths century home in February 2001 it was still stuck in 1940 with wallpaper on absolutely every single room INCLUDING THE CEILINGS, that's a lot of paper stripping folks. The kitchen although a nice size needed a gut and reno badly but my honey opted to do the main bathroom first since he refused to shower in a 4 1/2 foot claw foot with a hoop and shower, apparently guys have an issue with that, not just him

I was working in trucking as account executive at the time and ate, slept and breathed that kitchen design. I worked up my own design sketches/floor layout inspired by the incredible Brian Gluckstein's own kitchen right down to the exact cabinet sizes with prospectives of each wall.

I could not believe when it was done how lucky I was and still am to have such a nice kitchen for the very first kitchen I ever owned.

The problem is that I'm not in love with the cream cabinets with the cherry island anymore. I have been wanting to make a change to white for a while but now that the mudroom is so crisp and fresh with the white beadboard I think it will flow much better if the kitchen is white and with a espresso island. It is not in our budget to have them sprayed and due to chemical sensitivities I have I only use latex in our home but I am not convinced that that will be ok durability wise in the long run for cabinets.

My honey is working on our cute little garage this weekend and today is the perfect weather for painting. He has been replacing the wood in the eaves/overhang and even built a new window frame for the old window. We'll give the upper shakes in the peak a coat of white so they match the house. The over 100 year old glass is like nothing today with it's waviness and air bubbles and we will reglaze it so it's just like new and out last any vinyl window. Last year he replicated the old carriage style doors as the originals were really beyond restoring and then he added the hand forged butt strap hinges made by Mennonites. It was his first attempt at building doors and I think he out did himself.











We found this empire style dresser last year for $175.00 and I'm stealing it's large mirror for our mudroom over the sink. That would make it a free mirror, yes, I love that! It's getting it's last coat of paint today. I'm leaving the grommets in the mirror and keeping it's harp so if one day we make a change and want to give it back to the dresser we can. I like to keep my options open.


Hope you are having a wonderful Monday!

Sandra

No comments: