Monday, February 28, 2011

Take That Ikea




I love buying  much better quality 
second hand pieces for much less than
what it would cost for new ones of
the same quality and sometimes
poorer quality.



We have had this little dresser for years
and it is solid wood, maybe maple. I paid $150.00 
for it. Todd cut a little bit off the 
legs to make the same height as
the other dresser which
is the best height as a night stand for our bed.




and this maple one which I found on Kijiji for $20.00.


We removed the kick  



and I thought I was going to get him to 
make it look like this but I have 
changed my mind and decided to 
go with a similar look to the other
dresser.


I removed these pretty glass knobs off the darker dresser
and may use glass again if I don't find my dream 
clear glass lamps.


Great solid wood dovetailed drawers on one


and wood drawers notch construction on the
other is much better than any pressboard/mdf 
construction. 


and everything got a coat of latex Bin 123 primer yesterday.


and while I was busy doing that Todd got a coat
of primer on the side stair built-ins, SWEET!





and today is another grey day, calling for freezing rain. I've got
a busy day planned with more painting and groceries and maybe if
the weather permits a drop down to Mom and Dad's for  a quick visit.



So if you are thinking you need a new piece of furniture and 
are going to hit Ikea, Walmart etc, why don't you check out the classifieds or 
craigslist to see what second hand beauties you can find and 
transform to make your own.

and 

if the sun is shining where you are
send'er my way please!

Have a great day

hugs
Sandra

1 comment:

Claudia said...

Hello,

Can't wait to see your chest of drawers makeover. The glass pulse will look lovely. Love your inspiration picture. I would love to have a closet like that. Our upstairs is the next phase but we are going to wait for awhile. I am tired of people being in the house everyday. It will be anise break.
Take care. Sending sunshine your way.
Claudia