Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Heck of a Hall

Ok so by now you probably got the gist of it that we
do bounce around with our projects. For the most part, he finishes all the 
things he has to do and then I 
have my part to do when I have the energy or money for 
the final touches and much to Todd's frustratation, I changed
my mind ALL THE TIME!

So I thought our front hall looked it's nicest at Christmas
 but once the season past I never did anything with it further. 
You see, I have tried to hide the unsightly floor and it has 
worn on me so very much over the years but it has 
not been a priority to my hubby. 







Original lovely details.


As I said before, this hallway still needs work. 
The beautiful curved plaster walls were covered top to bottom with 
wallpaper, whew what fun that was removing it many 
years ago. Our new track light highlights what
will be a feature picture  and or art wall.
This is probably one of my most favourite spaces
in our home and I hope when it is finished we will have
done it justice.



I just love it!


And a cute little ledge that has potential for 
a few chosen pictures or decorative items.




This plaster on this wall
is horse hair plaster that crumbles if you drill into it
and so anything hung here will be
with 3M hooks, you gotta love 3M hooks, don't ya.


Many moons ago I had originally painted the stair treads white but mistakenly used regular
 gloss latex. Next coat will be a more durable floor paint.
I would love a durable striped or sisal runner too for
when we get our next dog but right now it is so easy to
clean bare stairs. I hate vacuuming carpeted stairs!
Todd had repaired the newel post cap but I didn't get to
painting it yet. We can lift if off and on for moving
things down the stairs if need be.


What a curve, isn't it  beautiful! I've tried to think of ways
to incorporate some beadboard to continue the look we will do in the
upstairs hall but the angles and breaks in this stairway
are just too much for it.


I will not be keeping the palladian blue and will
go for something much lighter and fresher.



We have found many imperfections in our home and this crooked
plaster line is one of them, I call it character.



The downstairs floor was in bad bad shape with cutouts from
old floor vents long gone and then newer
strips of oak patched in very poorly.
It was cupped and splintery.








Who does this kind of thing, (actually 
we do know the contractor who did the 
work in our home before we bought it)
and shame on them for it.


really

  
 There are some boards that are salvageable and we
will have some spare flooring 
for upstairs hallway. You see that is how this all started.
 I wanted my beadboard hallway done next
but there is a slight structural problem
in one area of the floor and Todd has
to rip up the floor to get at it and fix it.
Now we will have extra floor to put back down it if we need it.





more cutouts 


and this one replaced 
with plywood because a 
bench used to cover it, oh my. 


So Todd got at her and reveals 
the original old growth pine plank 1 1/2" thick boards below.
 If we could we would remove them
and and reinstall them without the cutouts but when
they did a renovation in 1915 they built the new walls and 
the front doorway over them so that is not an option
which just kills me and is a shame.



There is a one inch difference between the kitchen floor
and now this floor that we will correct with the new
flooring.






And this is where we are at until I decide on a floor tile. It can't be an expensive tile
and it will be porcelain so I'm hoping that it will be done before the fence work starts.

No comments: