Sunday, March 18, 2012

Our beach house living and dining room fabrics

Hi all, it's a gorgeous day already when I got up at 7:30 this morning, the air smells of warm spring and birds are chirping away outside!

While Todd laboured the day away sanding the floors yesterday my friend Joanne and I went on my first fabric hunting expedition downtonwn.
It's has been nothing short of a killer over the past two weeks at work. I designed, sold and placed the orders for  SIX kitchens! I am so grateful for the success I have had at work lately but it left me so ready for a super day out on the town to unwind and relax. 
 In the past on occasion I have popped into our local Fabric Land but was always disappointed, however, yesterday was a different story and I love 
what I found. 

My vision for our home is for it to feel like it could be transported to the seaside with the waves crashing just outside our door and decorate it with colours of sand and sea that coordinate with the pallette from our multi coloured mudroom quartzite tile floor.



I also wanted to find something that would tie in with our kitchen backsplash's tones with hits of amber in it since we have separate rooms that visually connect to one another.


We also made a trip to Homestead Paint Company to pick up a large batch of Provincial Walnut waterbased stain (which I chose to go with as a great health choice since it has zero VOC's) while I was downtown and you can see by my sample how the floor will ground the light airier colour scheme.


I also chose this textured written linen fabric to pull a little greyish taupe with black print into the space  to prevent it from feeling overly "pretty" since Todd is not a fan of flower prints or if things get too girly so I was so happy when he told me that he liked it.



At the very end of our search we came across this fun sample that has both lighthouses and  boats on it but they only gave me the piece with the lighthouse on it and I actually like the boat part of it because it had more blue that was darker and looked really nice with the other fabrics. 
I may or may not keep this one.


Today I'm hoping to get the floors stained and varnished, a feat that is perhaps doable since they only take an hour between coats of stain.
Wish me luck and have a super Sunday!

6 comments:

Muddaritaville said...

Your place is coming together nicely!
I love how neat everywhere looks while you are in the midst of reno's.

I noticed you mentioned on your last post about an addition coming to your family - do share!

Jo

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

I wish my house looked as good as yours during reno's! Those fabrics are beautiful. I really love the script linen. Can't wait to see what you do with them. Have a great week!

{{hugs}}
Deborah

Muddaritaville said...

I'm back, I had to tell you that I could not stop thinking about the light house fabric and what wonderful art it would make. You could frame it, or it would make a great throw pillow. I'm thinking of doing a painting with a similar soft look.
I'll keep you posted.

Have a great week!

Jo

Serendipitous Home said...

Hey Jo,
WEEEEELLLLLLL, we are talking about dog! We have another rottie in mind but finding the right one as an adult to adopt could be a challenge or take some time so I will have to be patient.
I would love to see your ligthouse painting if you do it.
If I use it, it will be a pillow for sure.
My grandmother and my mother have both painted lighthouses. I just love their historical feel of a simpler time, don't you?

Serendipitous Home said...

Oh Jo, I forgot, so exhausted and not typing straight,
thank you for your compliments! Todd is the tidy uper and I am so lucky he is. If it were just my reno, there would be stuff everywhere! LOL!

Serendipitous Home said...

Hi Deborah!
Thanks a ton! We don't cope well in chaos so Todd keeps things tidy so we don't lose our minds, well at least for this part of our reno's.
I do plan to make pillows from the fabrics as they are not inexpensive and can't wait!